Thursday, January 22, 2015

Healthy Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs

It's that time again for another quick, easy and healthy recipe! I decided to 
make a dish for my meal prep this week that is not only user friendly for my 
"non-kitchen-friendly-chef" followers, but delicious as well. This is a two-day 
recipe since day one will be for marinating the chicken, day two for prepping 
the veggies and cooking. 


The marinade I went with for these kabobs is Organicville's Island Teriyaki. I 
found this at our local Raley's but have heard Costco carries it as well. I also 
really like Kinders Organic Mild BBQ Sauce. What I look for in sauces or 
marinades are organic options with low sodium content. If I can read and know 
what the ingredients on the label are, it's a great start. 


I started off by cutting up large chunks of chicken from 4 chicken breasts. I 
made 10 kabobs so my husband and I would have them for a few days, so cut up the 
amount of chicken you prefer depending on how many kabobs you want. Once the 
chicken was sliced, I poured the entire bottle of teriyaki over the chicken in a 
bowl, covered the bowl and let sit in the fridge overnight to really soak in the 
flavor. 
The next morning I took the chicken out of the fridge and sliced up a mixture of red onion, zucchini, yellow squash and orange sweet peppers. Other options that go great on kabobs are: -Bell peppers -Tofu -Potatoes -Pineapple -Mushrooms -Cherry tomatoes

Before slicing, set the oven for 350 degrees so it can start preheating. 



Once everything is sliced and diced, I started putting my veggies and chicken on 
my kabob sticks. I tried to put 4-5 pieces of chicken on each kabob along with 
veggies in between to soak in all the flavors. 

Now that you have your kabobs prepared, line them up on a cookie sheet or a dish for baking. I put some some aluminum foil because sometimes the sauces really bake into the pan and make it a pain in the neck to wash after (and who has time to wash when all you want to do is eat!) Then I used the remainder of the sauce from the chicken marinade and poured it over the kabobs. Last but not least, sprinkle some Italian parsley for added taste, and a bit of flare. Bake these pretty babies at 350 for 40 minutes. Depending on how large your chunks of chicken are, cooking times may vary. 

I laid my kabob on top of a 1/2 cup cooked brown rice and it was DELICIOUS! To add more veggies to your meal, you can always make a few kabobs of just vegetables and cook with the other kabobs. 



With the ingredients I used, I calculated my kabobs to have the following 
nutrition facts per kabob: 
-14 grams of protein 
-3 grams of fat
-150 calories 

This recipe can be as simple or as elaborate as you would like. Homemade 
marinades are also a great option, but since I was prepping a lot of food this 
week, I took the easy route with the Organicville sauce option. 

Have a delicious time cooking up this meal and feel free to tag me if you make 
these and post on social media. 

There you have it. Simple. Delicious. Healthy. My favorite combination for 
meals. 

The Darling heartbeat continues...

2 comments:

  1. You are writting some interesting and Best content i also bookmark this url....You guys are writing some Amazing tips. This article really helped me a lot. Thanks for sharing this. Totally Awesome Post Please Keep Posting Regulary... you are totally awesome...
    Amazon-Coupons & Offer Code
    Floweraura Coupons & Offer Code
    Printland Coupons & Offer Code
    Nearbuy Coupons & Offer Code
    Ebay Coupons & Offer Code
    Amazon Offers, Coupons, Summer Sale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thanks for sharing this blog its very helpful to implement in our work


    Regards

    buy clothes online

    ReplyDelete